Twin Beliefs About Love

One of the reasons I frequently find myself caught in the middle of evangelical and progressive Christianity is how I've come to think about love.

As a progressive Christian, I lead with love. Because I lead with love, my theological and political positions tend to skew liberal.

That said, I also believe that love is very, very hard. Because I equate love with cruciformity, I don't think anyone--progressive or evangelical--loves very well. Especially not their enemies. Basically, love runs aground on human sinfulness and depravity. It takes training and discipline to become a human being.

Those twin beliefs--the primacy of love and that love requires training in the face of human sinfulness--keeps me suspended between progressive and evangelical theologies.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply